Hummus is super easy and can be made ahead of time for any event and served throughout the week! When purchasing chickpeas/garbanzo beans, check the ingredients - make sure there aren't a lot of added ingredients. The can should just contain chickpeas/garbanzo means, water, and salt. For a fun variation, add roasted red peppers or other spices to the hummus and blend thoroughly to mix things up.
Ingredients (12 servings)
- 1 can of chickpeas (15oz or 425g)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp (5ml) of ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp (3.6ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) tahini
- 2 tbsp (30ml) extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) ground pepper
- 1 large lemon (juiced)
- Rinse chickpeas in cold water and let strain.
- Combine tahini, fresh lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor. Blend until smooth (about 30 seconds)
- Add and blend the rest of your ingredients. If the hummus isn't smooth enough, add ice water (approximately 1 tbsp. at a time) until it reaches the desired consistency
- Once smooth, transfer to a bowl and add pepper
- Serve with carrots, cucumbers, or any veggie of your choice.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Calories 172 kCal| Protein 7.3g | Fat 6.9g | Carbohydrate 22g | Fibre 6g | Sodium 161mg